Jade Roller: Benefits, Uses, and More
If you’ve scrolled through your social media feed lately, chances are that you’ve stumbled upon a jade roller or two. Although it may seem like a brand new super-tool to hit the beauty market, jade rollers have been around for centuries, but what exactly are they?
What Is a Jade Roller?
Simply put, a jade roller is like a little rolling pin, but for your face! They are small handheld apparatuses that look like mini paint rollers. The “rolling” portion is traditionally made of the gemstone jade, which tends to vary in color from deep turquoise to a pale green. Known as the “stone from heaven”, the popular jade roller dates all the way back to the seventh century in China.
During the Qing dynasty, emperors used the power of jade to draw out bad energy commonly known as negative ‘chi’. Jade is considered a coveted treasure that has been guarded by Chinese royalty for centuries.
Some of the amazing benefits of a jade facial roller are:
- It calms the skin – massaging your neck and face with an extremely smooth jade stone roller not only feels pleasant, but it feels cool to the touch as it glides across your skin! Unlike bare fingers, you do not have to worry about it pulling or tugging at your skin, which would typically cause lines and wrinkles.
- It minimizes puffiness – consuming too much salt, poor sleep and hormonal changes can all cause puffy skin. When this happens, your blood vessels dilate, and fluid becomes trapped in the top layer of your skin which can make it look dull and lifeless. A jade roller is a secret weapon to combat puffy skin because it works to flush the non-needed fluid out of the skin and back into the lymphatic system where it can drain properly. (We'll talk more about the lymphatic system in just a moment!)
- It’s free of toxic chemicals – when you pick up a new product, sometimes the ingredients list can look a little scary. One of the major benefits that come from a jade roller is that you simply will never have to worry about what is in it! Since it is free of dyes, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, parabens, and mineral oil, jade rollers are safe for all skin types!
- Fights signs of aging – loved by many for its anti-aging abilities, the jade roller works to reduce the amount of fluid trapped behind your skin which causes wrinkles and fine lines. A jade roller gently pushes the fluid out of the skin and back into the lymphatic system to drain.
- It makes your skin vibrant – when used properly, a jade roller can increase the circulation in your skin. When you have better circulation, your skin is given an increase in the amount of oxygen and nutrients flowing to its surface. The increase in blood flow will leave you with a dewy and vibrant luminosity.
- Better absorption – no matter how good your skincare products are, they are useless if they don’t actually absorb into your skin. The jade roller works in unison with your serums, oils, and creams by gently helping them to fully penetrate your skin.
- Helps with jaw tension – if you suffer from pain in your jaw, a jade roller is a great way to relieve tension. Think of it as a deep tissue massage for your face. When you dig into your tense facial muscles, it will help to loosen them up to reduce tension!
What Is the Lymphatic System?
To refresh your memory from biology class, the lymphatic system, which is part of your immune system, is a group of vessels that transports lymph fluid. Lymph fluid is a colorless fluid that contains strong infection-fighting white blood cells that travels to tissues all throughout your body to get rid of excess water, toxins, and other unwanted materials. Your lymphatic system is essentially the ‘detox center’ of the body, ushering these unwanted materials out through excretory organs like the kidneys, liver, and bladder. Sometimes, this lymph fluid can build up becoming the most prevalent in your face. A jade roller works to eliminate this fluid which can help to decrease puffiness, improve complexion, and even reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
For the best lymphatic drainage, it is all about the technique!
- Start with the massager at the bottom of your face, specifically the center of your chin, and work your way up, rolling outward across the jawline and up towards your ear. Follow this exact pattern all the way out towards your cheek.
- Next, start adjacent to your nose and roll outward over your cheekbones towards your ear.
- Using the smaller stone of your jade roller at the opposite end, work from the inner lower eyelid over the skin under the eye and outward towards your temple.
- Place the jade roller between your eyebrows and roll up and out over each brow and then straight up towards the hairline.
The whole premise of using a jade face roller is that you are breaking up sedentary blood vessels by moving pooled up blood capillaries away from your face to increase blood circulation.
How Often Should You Use a Jade Roller?
Great question! Like we mentioned a little earlier, these super-tools are free of toxins and chemicals making them a great option for all skin types. Since it will not cause irritation to your skin, a jade roller can be used whenever you feel your face could benefit from a little pick-me-up or a moment of soothing calmness! We recommend jade rolling a minimum of twice a day, once in the morning and once again in the evening after you wash your face.
To clean your jade roller, simply wipe it down with a clean wipe or cloth. For a more thorough clean, you can submerge your roller in warm water and soap. Scrub gently. It is important to make sure you completely pat dry your jade roller once you finish cleaning it to prevent the metal from rusting.
Where Do You Buy a Jade Roller?
If you are thinking about incorporating this magical super tool to your beauty arsenal for the first time, then it is important to purchase from a reputable and honest company like TRUST Beauty. Sure, you might save an extra buck or two if you purchase from a private seller, but you need to be aware that you might actually be buying a knock-off version that is made from glass infused with green dye – not real jade.
Jade is a symbol of purity and serenity that has been long believed to hold spiritual and healing powers. In traditional Chinese medicine, many believe that the stone can balance your own inner energies, relax the nervous system, and bring about a sense of balance and harmony.
Are There Any Downsides?
Nope! Jade rollers are very safe to use and unlikely to have any negative side effects, but they are not miracle workers! When you purchase a jade roller, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- It requires consistency – if you stop using it, the bags under your eyes will start to reappear! To really get the best benefit from your jade roller, it needs to become a part of your everyday skincare routine.
- It cannot help deep wrinkles – although jade rollers are praised as an anti-aging tool, they only work to smooth out lines which can be ‘filled out’ by a temporary increase in blood flow. Simply rolling something over your face won’t have a permanent effect on deep-set wrinkles.
- It must be used on clean skin – it is very important to keep in mind that you should only use your jade roller on clean skin. Just like how a jade roller can push your skincare product like facial oil or moisturizer deeper into your skin, it can also push makeup and dirt too.
- It is porous – when you clean your roller, it is important to do it correctly because jade is porous. This means that it can harbor bacteria and germs if it is not cleaned properly.
- It is easily counterfeited – like we mentioned a litter earlier, it is very important to purchase your jade roller from a reputable source. Avoid purchasing from a private seller because there are many counterfeits that claim to be real jade, but simply are not. Purchase from an honest company and stay clear of prices that seem way too good to be true.
Jade rollers are one of the most popular beauty tools in the industry today boasting a ton of benefits! It can help depuff your skin, making it appear tighter and firmer. You can also boost the de-puffing power of your jade roller by putting it in the fridge or freezer before taking it out to roll on your face. This will allow the jade stone to become nice and cool, offering a relaxing sensation to your skin. The coolness will also help to combat any redness or swelling that you may have. If you haven’t had a chance to use a jade roller, then you are truly missing out!