There are so many products available in the beauty market today that all promise to do one thing or another. Oils, exfoliating scrubs, eye creams, cleansers, serums, lotions, cremes – the list goes on which can be quite daunting to some. With a wide range of products available, it might be tough to know where to start when looking to improve your overall skincare routine, but we are here to help!
You might hate us for saying this, but your mom was right- beauty sleep is not just some old wives’ tale! Having a good quality night's rest is important because your skin naturally repairs itself while you sleep. If you are looking at products to better your skin, then keep reading because we are going to tell you everything that you need to know about night cream and why it is so critical!
Day Cream Vs. Night Cream
Before we dive right into all the amazing benefits, it is first important to understand the difference between day and night cream. To be clear, although they are similar, day and night cream are two different products that both play a unique role for your skin.
Day creams typically have a more lightweight moisturizing formula when compared to a night cream. This is because they are intended to be used first thing in the morning prior to the application of makeup. One of the main differences between day and night cream are the ingredients. During the day, your skin is subjected to damaging UV rays, pollution, and environmental stresses making it important to incorporate a day cream into your morning regimen that focuses on protection and support. For example, SPF is very common to find in day cream to help combat some of the harmful rays from the sun.
Many people may not realize this, but your skin operates very differently when you sleep! During the day, your skin plays a defensive role to protect itself from things like harsh pollutants and chemicals. When you sleep, your skin is still active but plays a more offensive role as it works to repair any damage that was caused throughout the day. Nighttime is when your skin does all the heavy lifting, working to repair, restore, and regenerate as you snooze!
<h3>Where Did Night Cream Come From?</h3>
Great question! Did you know that night cream can be found dating all the way back to ancient Egypt? Cosmetics and facial creams were not only used for religious rituals and mummification, but also for everyday life! Due to the damaging effects of the sun, it became a standard practice for Egyptians to rub an overnight cream onto their skin at the end of a long day prior to jumping into bed. They found that while they slept, their skin seemed to better absorb and benefit from the nourishing ingredients from a cream applied at night when compared to a cream applied during the day!
Eventually, night cream became so widely used in Egypt that it made its way around the world as one of the best secrets for youthful skin.
How Does It Work?
During the day, your skin is in protection mode, fighting off environmental aggressors like the sun, wind, and pollution. This is when your sympathetic nervous system is in control keeping blood flow close to the core of your body. At night, when your body is resting, the parasympathetic system takes over shifting the flow of blood to the extremities. This is when your skin cell regeneration power is at its peak and theoretically, more collage is produced. When you lather on a high-quality hydrating night cream prior to falling asleep, you are assisting your skin's natural ability to repair itself.
What Are the Benefits?
Night cream is critical to your overall skin health. Some of the best benefits of a high-quality nighttime face cream are:
- Can boost collagen
- Reduces dark spots/sunspots
- It soothes your face and dry skin
- Locks in moisture
- Helps to restore elasticity
- Aids in tightening the skin to reduce sagging
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Increases firming properties
- Keeps skin soft, dewy, and supple
- Helps to renew and repair cells
- Evens out complexion and uneven skin tone
- Promotes better blood circulation
What Are Some of the Common Ingredients?
Did you know that your skin is the largest organ in your body? Knowing this, don’t you feel it is important to understand what ingredients you are slathering into your body? One thing that you need to know beforehand is your skin type. Buy a night cream based on your skin type whether you have sensitive skin, oily skin, combination skin, or dry skin.
Although there are many products available, they are all not created equal. If you are looking to incorporate a night cream into your beauty regimen, then do yourself a favor and become familiar with what ingredients you should be looking for! Stay away from toxic chemicals and fillers - some of the best ingredients are:
- Hyaluronic Acid – one of the most studied ingredients in the beauty industry, hyaluronic acid keeps your skin hydrated and works to combat fine lines, wrinkles, and skin pigmentation issues.
- Retinol – this popular ingredient is a derivative of Vitamin A. It is a powerful agent that helps to kick the early signs of aging to the curb. Retinol helps to even out fine lines, wrinkles, and can even brighten your complexion. This ingredient is not commonly found in day cream because it can cause skin sensitivity to the sun.
- Resveratrol – this antioxidant helps with stress, soothing the skin to minimize the look of redness.
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acids – if you want to really maximize the benefit of your night cream, then it is important to find one with Alpha-Hydroxy-Acids! This powerful ingredient helps to gently exfoliate and soften the skin and is best absorbed at night.
- Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant, vitamin C is a very popular ingredient typically found in night cream because it promotes the production of collagen. When you apply this ingredient at night, it will help to fight any free radical damage to help create new cell growth.
- Vitamin E – another powerful antioxidant, vitamin E is an ingredient found to provide moisture and brighten the skin. It can also help to reduce inflammation and redness.
- Glycerin – one of the most common ingredients that you will see listed is Glycerin. Glycerin is an all-natural moisturizer that hydrates and repairs the skin, combating the early signs of aging.
- Peptides – these powerful proteins can stimulate the growth of new cells while helping to shed the dead ones. Peptides also work to promote the production of collagen which contributes to smooth skin.
Some other great and natural ingredients that provide benefit to your skin are:
- Jojoba oil
- Rose oil
- Shea butter
- Aloe vera
- Glycolic acid
Are There Any Ingredients to Stay Away From?
Not only is your skin the largest organ in your body, but it also absorbs up to 70% of the ingredients that you slather into it. It is truly astounding that there are still products available to consumers today that are filled with toxic ingredients, but this is simply due to the fact that skincare products are not regulated by the FDA. This means that almost any ingredient- harmful or not - can be incorporated into a beauty formula. According to dermatologists, some of the most common toxic ingredients to avoid are:
- Parabens – methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparabens, and ethylparabens are all a part of the paraben family. Parabens are chemicals that are commonly found in beauty products to preserve shelf-life however, they have been linked to breast cancer since they act as a hormone disruptor and can lead to reproductive and fertility issues.
- Phthalates – is another group of chemicals that are used to soften and increase the flexibility of plastics, thus helping the product to stick to your skin. These chemicals are harmful and can be extremely dangerous to children because they can be serious endocrine disruptors and even cause birth defects.
- Lead – lead is a heavy metal and is a neurotoxin that can cause serious behavioral and learning issues.
- BHT – butylated hydroxytoluene are synthetic antioxidants that are used to extend shelf life and are hormone disruptors and carcinogens that may contribute to liver damage.
- Formaldehyde – if you thought formaldehyde was only used in biology class to preserve dead animals then guess again – it can also sometimes be found in beauty products and is a known carcinogen that is also linked to asthma.
- Aluminum – just like lead, aluminum is another toxic heavy metal that can be found in beauty products and can disrupt the healthy functioning of the endocrine system.
If you are someone that is deeply concerned with the appearance and well-being of your skin, then it is critical to incorporate a high-quality night cream into your daily beauty regimen! Like we mentioned a little earlier, not all products are created equal. When searching for the best night cream for you, make sure to purchase from a reputable and honest company that uses all-natural ingredients like adaptogens, vitamins, and plant extracts. If you are new to night cream, then we highly suggest skipping over your next drugstore purchase which could contain toxic chemicals. Trust, TRUST BEAUTY with all your skincare needs – we know you will not regret it!