What Are the Effects of CBD?
If you keep up with the latest and greatest, then we are sure you have heard some of the buzz surrounding CBD. Whether you are at a fitness club or a health food store, it has been gaining quite a bit of momentum! Although many people believe it is a new discovery, this could not be further from the truth. CBD actually has a long and complicated history dating all the way back to ancient China!
Scientists have only just begun to scratch the surface of this incredible all-natural oil and are learning more about its healing benefits daily. From the fitness industry to beauty, CBD oil is quite remarkable!
We don’t blame you if you are not totally sure as to what CBD is because it just recently became legal making it new and uncharted territory for most. Before we dive into all of the amazing benefits it has to offer, let's take a step back to fully understand the true power of this super compound!
What Exactly Is CBD?
CBD stands for Cannabidiol and is a natural chemical compound that is found in the cannabis sativa plant. The Farm Bill was passed in June 2018 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which legalized CBD but only when it is derived from hemp containing 0.3% of THC or less.
Since the Farm Bill was passed in the United States, CBD can be found being incorporated into healthy lifestyles as a natural remedy to help with an assortment of everyday medical conditions such as chronic pain, anxiety disorders, childhood epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, blood pressure issues, inflammation, and insomnia, but it doesn’t stop there! Not only has CBD grown in popularity in western medicine, but it has also skyrocketed in the beauty industry with many products infused with this all-natural compound.
Okay, but Will It Get Me High?
Did you know that there are over 100 chemical compounds known as cannabinoids that are found within the marijuana plant? The two most commonly known compounds are cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Since the study of CBD is still fairly new, many people tend to avoid it thinking it will get them “high”.
The two chemical compounds CBD and THC are totally unique active ingredients and cause different effects. To be clear, CBD will not get you high.
How Does CBD Work?
This is another great question and could be a pretty in-depth answer, but we will keep it short and sweet!
The cannabinoids that are found in the cannabis plant naturally bind with your endocannabinoid system receptors known as CB1 and CB2. Here are the main differences between the two:
Essential for a healthy functioning brain, CB1 receptors are one of the most common in the central nervous system (CNS)! These receptors work to regulate appetite, pain perception, mood, and coordination – just to name a few! CB1 receptors also play a role in pregnancy, hormone production, digestion, and cardiovascular health.
Commonly found in the cells within your immune system, CB2 receptors help with inflammation and your immune response to pathogens. If you use CBD to help with ailments like asthma, acne, arthritis, allergies, or autoimmune disorders, your CB2 receptors are to thank.
THC binds closely to the CB1 receptors which are responsible for many of the psychoactive effects, or the “high” feeling associated with medical marijuana. CBD has a milder effect and although contrary to popular belief, it does not bind directly with the receptors like THC – it stimulates them! CBD also inhibits anandamide, which is a neurotransmitter that binds to the cannabinoid receptors in your brain, stimulating a sense of happiness and mental well-being.
CBD in the Beauty Industry
Now that you have a complete understanding as to what CBD is, let's talk about the good stuff -- beauty!
People didn’t really understand how beneficial CBD products could be until the Farm Bill passed legalizing the compound in 2018. Loaded with tons of body-nourishing nutrients, researchers soon realized that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties, vitamin A, D, and E and essential fatty acids. It was a no brainer that this super compound would soon be infused with beauty products!
Did you know that your skin is the largest organ in your body? It absorbs up to 70% of what you slather into it. Knowing this, don’t you feel it is important to take care of it? We do too!
- Fights acne: Research has firmly established that acne is an inflammatory condition. The good news is that numerous animal studies and clinical trials have shown that CBD has anti-inflammatory benefits! This means that when it is applied, benefits of CBD include soothing your skin and helping to visibly reduce breakouts.
- Combats the early signs of aging: Since CBD comes from a plant, it is no surprise that it is boasting antioxidant properties. These antioxidants are an easy way to help lessen the visible signs of aging. By counteracting free-radical damage, skincare products that are infused with CBD visibly work to diminish lines and wrinkles.
- Fights dry skin: Locking in moisture can be really tough because there are so many ingredients in products that can do more harm to your skin than good. Having dry skin can be uncomfortable and can lead to scaly patches, peeling, and itchiness. CBD is an all-natural oil with no preservatives or fillers that have been shown to work wonders in rejuvenating the skin leaving it soft and supple.
- Soothes the skin: Other amazing effects of CBD oil is that it has been found to have significant soothing properties. Its substantial skin-calming effects can help to reduce issues related to redness and irritation. Since all skin types are affected by different environmental stressors daily, CBD’s soothing properties can help to keep everyone’s skin in line!
- Supports skin recovery: Sun exposure, poor diet, and stress can damage your health and skin more than you may think. CBD works to relax your mind and body to help improve the quality of sleep, giving your body time to regenerate your damaged skin cells and remove toxins. Your beauty sleep is important and will result in fresh and youthful-looking skin.
Controls Oil Production
CBD is an incredible moisturizer because it works for just about any skin type! It is non-comedogenic which means that it will provide moisture to your skin without clogging your pores- bonus! Whether you have dry or oily skin, moisturizing is important to control oil production. Sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands and is a critical oil necessary to maintain skin functions like:
- protecting it from infections and toxins
- keeping it hydrated
- maintaining elasticity in the skin
When an overproduction of sebum happens, it tends to mix with the dirt on your skin's surface, clogging your pores which can lead to acne. CBD oil has been shown to help regulate sebum production making it an excellent choice to keep your skin healthy!
What Are the Side Effects?
While there are no real negative side effects of CBD, everyone is unique and responds to supplements differently! Some of the mild side effects – although rare – that have been reported due to CBD are:
- Dry mouth
- Reduced appetite
- Changes in weight
Who Should Not Use CBD?
CBD is a natural chemical compound with an amazing list of health benefits, although some people should not use it. Of course, speak with your physician but some of the reasons not to use CBD are:
- If you are taking prescriptions like warfarin, anti-epileptics, HIV antivirals, and others
- If you are pregnant or nursing
- If you have a liver complication
Steps to Take Prior to Trying a CBD Skin Care Product
CBD is a safe compound with research suggesting that it can truly make a difference in how your skin looks and feels. If you are interested in venturing into CBD skincare, here are a few pieces of advice:
- Test it out first – Although the use of CBD is well tolerated, it is always important to do a quick patch test on your skin to make sure it does not cause irritation.
- Check the label – Always check the label prior to purchasing to make sure you are only buying top-notch products made from high-quality ingredients.
- Shop smart – CBD is not regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration, meaning it can be easy for anyone to smack a label on a product and call it CBD. Make sure you do a little bit of research prior to purchasing and buy from a reputable company like TRUST Beauty!
CBD is still being researched with new scientific evidence coming to light every day! It is truly an excellent breakthrough product that is used all around the world boasting incredible benefits! With different ways on how to use CBD, there are many ways that this powerful compound can help to better one’s life! Not only has CBD been shown to support healthy skin, but it has also been shown to help people with pain management, improve mood, and support good heart health.
If you are looking to better your overall health, then we highly recommend incorporating CBD oil into your daily health regimen – we know you will not regret it!